SteamOS

Reviews for gaming here.

Moderator: Officers

Scree

SteamOS

Post by Scree » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:34 pm

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Interesting. I think this is kind of like that one gaming system that touted they could virtualize all gameplay on their servers and pipe the graphics over internet-latency to your TV or Smart Phone (it was vaporware and dissapeared).

Fast forward to SteamOS and their take seems very very interesting to me. The return of PC gaming in a hugely dominant way. Not only are developers going to re-release titles on the Linux OS to run natively, but they are installing a "streaming" service to pipe content from your desktop through to the TV.

Talk about fucking amazing. Fuck PS4/XBOX One.

I'd rather play my game library on my PC streamed through to my living room TV. That just sounds amazing, revolutionary, etc.

Two more announcements coming about this tomorrow and day after that, most likely the hardware console they will sell for your living room (not neccesary since SteamOS will be FREE and you can install it on any machine in your living room).
-Feya aka Firepatch aka Scree

ferret

Re: SteamOS

Post by ferret » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:36 pm

That was OnLive, and it wasn't vaporware, though it did become bankruptcy court fodder.

I think it's a bit early to say "Not only are developers going to re-release titles on the Linux OS to run natively" ... believe it when I see it. Haven't seen any of the big publishers move on this yet, even though Steam Linux has been out for a while now. EA has no real desire to release Linux titles, as they want you to use Origin rather than Steam anyways. Ubi, Activision... Activision maybe, they're already in bed with Valve, but the COD titles don't have native Linux yet. Bethseda neither.

Just not sure what you're so excited about, or what you think is revolutionary. They're taking a Linux distro, probably Ubuntu as the base since they're already in a relationship with it, and putting a Steam based UI on top (Aka Big Picture mode). In the end, it's just a PC running Linux.

I can do this today, via a combination of "plug my goddamn PC into my plasma" or Chromecast, or several other options.

I say this as a huge Steam fan and supporter.
YUMI, EXTREME PROTECTION PALADIN. PROTECTION OF THE EXTREMEIST LEVEL.

Scree

Post by Scree » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Streaming game play directly into a PC connected to my TV using a controller? The actual specs for the machines to receive streaming content will be interesting.

Chromecast barely supports desktop (I discovered last night thinking it could do mobile phone-chrome browser->TV) web browser streaming. Its at its best a mediocre solution. You still have to use a PCs physically connected devices to actually do anything on the connected TV and it can barely handle transmitting a webpage live let alone gaming content. Merely plugging your gaming PC into your TV isn't the idea here either... with this new tech your SteamBox in the living room isn't your actual main gaming PC (its the SteamBox). Which one would hope is considerably cheaper and would in theory take advantage of your actual gaming rig (but allow you to play it somewhere else in your house). If it works as some of the gaming blogs are reporting (though where their sources are coming from is dubious...) then it is a big step forward.

I like to think of a SteamBox as a sort of virtual mirror for your desktop, allowing you to extend your gaming experience out to your living room for a fraction of the cost of purchasing two equivalent gaming rigs.

You also haven't seen big publishers "move on this" because this was announced today. So it would be a bit hard to see it. Releasing Steam support for Linux (which I guess is what you think they are doing?) is vastly different then developing your own Linux OS to run games on. Its a enormous (huge) difference. Considering the amount of business that's done on Steam (some estimate it did more PC sales then physical copies for the last few years) you can bet your ass the major game companies will take notice of this (if they haven't already been partnering with Valve for this).

If all this secrecy and publicity about launching this product was just about a re-branded Ubuntu do you really think they'd make a big deal about it? Valve? Whens the last time you even heard of them doing anything remotely release worthy in the news? Team Fortress 2?

ferret

Post by ferret » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:13 pm

You seem to think I don't keep up with what Valve does. Maybe you don't? Steam for Linux was released quite a while ago, and for the most part it only sees support from a handful of indies and Valve themselves. Again, EA has no incentive to begin supporting Linux. Blizzard and Activision also don't. It's unlikely UbiSoft will, as they want to push Up lay. Bethesda? Nope.

And they won't unless Valve miraculously sells millions of steam boxes and non-pc gamers buy them.

I seriously doubt valve is doing a completely fresh distro. We'll see soon enough, but I almost guarantee its a fork of Ubuntu, so they're doing most of the work for valve.

Defac
Officer
Officer

Post by Defac » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Basically this is XB1 without the MS tag and linux.

Scree

Post by Scree » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:22 pm

ferret wrote:You seem to think I don't keep up with what Valve does. Maybe you don't? Steam for Linux was released quite a while ago, and for the most part it only sees support from a handful of indies and Valve themselves. Again, EA has no incentive to begin supporting Linux. Blizzard and Activision also don't. It's unlikely UbiSoft will, as they want to push Up lay. Bethesda? Nope.

And they won't unless Valve miraculously sells millions of steam boxes and non-pc gamers buy them.

I seriously doubt valve is doing a completely fresh distro.
Its funny you comment how I don't keep up with Valve when your entire posts thus far have been ignorant of the information posted on VALVES SITE. The announcement page; http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/ which I linked in my opening post states explicitly that the OS will be completely free.

It also differentiates between offering Linux Games for sale like Windows Games are for sale (Which you are entirely correct they've been doing for quite some time now) but that is NOT the same thing as what is coming out. They are purposefully and directly working with publishers to PORT games to the linux OS. Where am I getting this information? from the fucking website linked which is VALVES SITE.

I get trying to shut me up sometimes, you seem to enjoy being the first person to "refute" my posts every single time I post something. Yet this time your just being moronic. Read the god damn site first.

Oh and Valve doesn't need to release a SteamBox. Rumor has it they will release a reference design to ensure viable functionality, but the comments made by Gabe Newell indicate they don't want to constantly have to refresh hardware just to keep up with the constantly changing demands of PC Gaming. They are much more likely to release said reference, but allow gamers to install the OS for free. Theres no reason to charge for the OS, all of the content is purchased directly through them (providing them with enough reason to keep working on the fork).

ferret

Post by ferret » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:11 pm

What are you talking about? Where have I ever disputed that SteamOS would be free? Try reading before posting, as you say. So your big wall of text just now, mostly trying to slam me about something I never said. To contrast, any hardware sold on the moniker of "Steam Box", whether reference design or third party, will most assuredly not be free.

As for the nebulous "working with producers for triple A titles", we'll see when a list gets posted. If you've got a list that shows any of the publishers I mentioned are on board, feel free to link.

ferret

Post by ferret » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:26 am

And today's announcement of "Steam Machines" was pretty uninformative. Basically, other than allowing for a beta signup for 300 prototypes, no new information revealed. Everything "We'll tell you soon."

However, we did get a date of sorts: "Available for purchase in 2014."

Oh well, signed up for the beta anyways.

ferret

Post by ferret » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:35 pm

Finally something a bit interesting, their new controller design: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroo ... ontroller/

ragnoth

Post by ragnoth » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:37 pm

I don't know if I buy trackpads being more accurate than joysticks...

Scree

Post by Scree » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:03 pm

Yea....and the controller will likely MSRP for a decent amount due to the touchscreen in the middle. I didn't bite that the WiiU controller design was necessary or useful, and I'm not sure I see this one working either. Luckily we have retailers likely Best Buy that i'll be able to buy this, then return it if I don't like it! ;p

It was an interesting product for sure, but they sorely lacked on specifics about anything in this press releases. I was a bit disappointed at the end.

Scree

Post by Scree » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:06 am

The beta version of SteamOS is out. At this time it will format your computer (no support for partitioning) and it requires an Nvidia based GPU. Nvidia is the only company currently embedded with Valve working on this. Supposedly AMD down the line will have drivers for it, but who knows when.

Nvidia seems really on board with this project though.

ferret

Post by ferret » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Or Valve simply chose to limit the initial platform to avoid too many variables in the earliest testing :P AMD has Linux drivers, from what I've heard with better support for Linux than nVidia, Valve just isn't releasing them in their repo yet.

At least we finally got some new information, such as the fact it's forked from Debian 7 and uses APT.

Scree

Post by Scree » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:13 pm

There were a few posts/tweets by Nvidia company execs mentioning embedded developers now working at (/with) Valve. Its more then just a coincidence their beta release only supports it. I have a feeling NVidia never supported Linux drivers because of a lack of a concerted gaming development going on for it. This sorta forces their hand (good thing imo).

A lot of support for future PC gaming in this environment will likely hinge with the card developers. I'm glad they are working as closely with anyone at this point to ensure success.

ferret

Post by ferret » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:15 pm

I have to wonder how much of the work Valve is doing for them. They could also be viewing it as a way to get better Linux support with minimum investment by leaning on Valve, who wants the drivers to work and so will make sure they work.

Scree

Post by Scree » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:08 am

They could also be trying to get into the living rooms of gamers. Aren't both PS4 and XBOX1 utilizing AMD technology for CPU/GPU this generation?

Maybe they see this as a way to get hardware sales. If Valve succeeds, so does NVidia?

Either way, the price of Windows having dropped to like $30 bucks has made the "free-ness" of Linux a questionable advantage (as opposed to when Windows require $200 or so). The fact that Gabe Newell is driving this OS due to his hatred of Windows 8 gives me great confidence this OS will succeed in the long run.

Can you even imagine how much resources Valve has at this point? I mean... a percentage of just about every digitally distributed game? Man would I love to read those account balances....

ferret

Post by ferret » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:16 am

I love Steam, but I think your idea of success and mine may differ. Will it live? Make Valve money? I'm confident in that as well.

Will it make a major shift in the console market? I'm not so confident.

Scree

Post by Scree » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:06 pm

I've been hearing rumors floating around that Microsoft might jump out of the console business altogether after XBOX One. Similarly with Nintendo (after the near-miserable mediocrity that was the Wii U launch).

Sure Valve might not displace them in the next five years, but after a Microsoft exit? A Nintendo Exit?

Kaejin

Post by Kaejin » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Scree wrote:Similarly with Nintendo
Every time I hear mention of a rumor like that I roll my eyes. It's like people forgot that Nintendo said the day they stop making consoles is the day the company dies. They're the epitome of a stubborn Japanese business.
Nijeak
Battle Tag: Tor#1895

unrequited

Post by unrequited » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Nintendo has so much cash it doesn't matter if they don't sell a single Wii U this season. They can throw it all into R&D for the next one, or just keep making 3DS games where they're killing.
-Unrequited