SteamOS

Reviews for gaming here.

Moderator: Officers

Scree

Re: SteamOS

Post by Scree » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:38 pm

The comments about Nintendo aren't about its existence, but more about its focus. Making great games is what Nintendo's really known for. A shift in their existence from hardware to software developer wouldn't be a bad thing. As for them pumping out another console, do you really think they would after this .... bitter tasting experience?
-Feya aka Firepatch aka Scree

Kaejin

Post by Kaejin » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:38 pm

They will.

They've stated before that they have no intention of making games for a non Nintendo console. So when I say that the day they stop making consoles is the day the company dies, it's pretty literal.

http://toucharcade.com/2011/09/14/again ... ile-games/
http://toucharcade.com/2013/08/09/ninte ... platforms/
Nijeak
Battle Tag: Tor#1895

Scree

Post by Scree » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:37 pm

Sure, companies can talk big coming off a big win like the original Wii was. In fact, I'd bet they'd never concede that another console would be a big gamble.

After 5 years of the Wii U doing terrible, Nintendo will think twice about launching another console. They can talk big in 2011 (when your first article was written) and they can still talk big in 2013 (before the big "Two" consoles launched). Lets see what they say in a year from now when they are a distant third place memory, dreaming of their Wii dominated yesteryears.

unrequited

Post by unrequited » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:59 pm

Scree wrote:Sure, companies can talk big coming off a big win like the original Wii was. In fact, I'd bet they'd never concede that another console would be a big gamble.

After 5 years of the Wii U doing terrible, Nintendo will think twice about launching another console. They can talk big in 2011 (when your first article was written) and they can still talk big in 2013 (before the big "Two" consoles launched). Lets see what they say in a year from now when they are a distant third place memory, dreaming of their Wii dominated yesteryears.
What'd you forget Gamecube or even Virtual Boy? They've had bigger failures, and Wii U's just getting into it's "It prints money" phase (remember when they said that the DS and then 3DS were both failures?). I have faith yet. I played the XBone and wasn't impressed, I'm looking forward to trying out the PS4, but neither system has any exclusives which would make me step away from my PC to play (I've owned every single console that has ever come out besides Jaguar and Sega Master System / Genesis). Nintendo isn't out by a longshot.

-Unrequited

Laithina

Post by Laithina » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:06 am

I liked the Gamecube (eternal darkness: sanity's requiem was one of the creepiest games I've ever played). I also enjoy the Wii U. It has a decent selection of upcoming games and the new (old) Link game looks incredible. Lets see how they do when the BIG games come out for it (Donkey Kong, Smash Brothers, Mario Kart). The new Mario has gotten rave reviews as well.
Laithina = [color=#00BFFF]Laithina[/color], [color=#0040FF]Skyl[/color], [color=#400080]Sylphy[/color], [color=#FF8040]Kaboomkina[/color], [color=#BF0000]Skyliss[/color], [color=#40BF00]Scryzina[/color], [color=#FF40BF]Skylphina[/color], [color=#FFFF00]Chasimo[/color], [color=#BF8000]Indarielle[/color] - 85; [color=#FFFFFF]Wrigglefuzz[/color] - 40

FOR THE [color=#FF0000]HORDE![/color]

Ghalos

Post by Ghalos » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Not to derail the conversation away from SteamOS but Mario Party(7?) for for Gamecube > ANY Mario Party (or any party game) period!

Trenfen
Officer
Officer

Post by Trenfen » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:56 pm

Ghalos wrote:Not to derail the conversation away from SteamOS but Mario Party(7?) for for Gamecube > ANY Mario Party (or any party game) period!
Agreed. Also:

Super Monkey Ball for GC > * Monkey Ball games
Smash for GC > * smash games
Trenfen#1656

Laithina

Post by Laithina » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Trenfen wrote: Agreed. Also:

Super Monkey Ball for GC > * Monkey Ball games
Smash for GC > * smash games
Yes, yes 1 billion times yes.
Laithina = [color=#00BFFF]Laithina[/color], [color=#0040FF]Skyl[/color], [color=#400080]Sylphy[/color], [color=#FF8040]Kaboomkina[/color], [color=#BF0000]Skyliss[/color], [color=#40BF00]Scryzina[/color], [color=#FF40BF]Skylphina[/color], [color=#FFFF00]Chasimo[/color], [color=#BF8000]Indarielle[/color] - 85; [color=#FFFFFF]Wrigglefuzz[/color] - 40

FOR THE [color=#FF0000]HORDE![/color]

Kaejin

Post by Kaejin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:19 pm

Pretty much everyone who owned a Gamecube liked the thing. I still have that boot up jingle burned into my memory.
Nijeak

Scree

Post by Scree » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Quick Link to some Nov 2013 Wii U sales stats.... http://scr.ee/d

Its great you guys love Nintendos software...but loving the games doesnt mean my point about them being better off transitioning into a software only company would be a bad thing (or wrong).

Kaejin

Post by Kaejin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:03 pm

It's not about whether it would be a bad or good move for them. It's just not something that's going to happen.
Nijeak

Disciple
Officer
Officer

Post by Disciple » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:07 pm

Nintendo has made 50% of the top 10 best selling consoles. The Wii for all intensive purposes won the previous console race. The idea that because of one product that has had sub-par sales thus far, an entire division of a company be shut down is ridiculous.

Trenfen
Officer
Officer

Post by Trenfen » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:43 pm

if an idea isn't ridiculous, scree isn't interested!
Trenfen#1656

ferret

Post by ferret » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:13 pm

+1
YUMI, EXTREME PROTECTION PALADIN. PROTECTION OF THE EXTREMEIST LEVEL.

unrequited

Post by unrequited » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Disciple wrote:intensive purposes
intents and purposes. (pet peeve of mine, sorry)
-Unrequited

Disciple
Officer
Officer

Post by Disciple » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:06 am

intents and purposes. (pet peeve of mine, sorry)
Changing other people's grammatically correct phrases into mainstream usage is your peeve huh!

Sith
Officer
Officer

Post by Sith » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:20 pm

Its too bad really. I was actually in the mood to read about SteamOS. Oh well, maybe next time!

Scree

Post by Scree » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Disciple wrote:Nintendo has made 50% of the top 10 best selling consoles. The Wii for all intensive purposes won the previous console race. The idea that because of one product that has had sub-par sales thus far, an entire division of a company be shut down is ridiculous.
Honestly its not due to the fact that their recent console has for all intents and purposes (zing) failed. Its because gaming has and is moving on from consoles. When most games are developed for smart phones and tablets and NOT consoles... yea you have a very big culture shift.

You think the vast majority of future games will be played on a TV?

Nintendo will probably be the first of the three to back out of consoles altogether. Theirs no reason to keep making them. The young generation and their parents are more likely to purchase a tablet/smartphone for their kids right now then a Wii U. The Wii U 2 would likely be targeting an even smaller audience then that of those who purchased the Wii U.

Go ahead, keep dreaming your fantasy world of consoles will last forever. You want to rip on me because I'm calling it like I see it... go ahead. At least I didn't fawn over Final Fantasy Online and quit within a month like the lot of you.... ooohhh burn.

Defac
Officer
Officer

Post by Defac » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:01 pm

The Wii U will turn the corner after this holiday. We all in the industry know it's coming.

cradex

Post by cradex » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:14 pm

Scree wrote:At least I didn't fawn over Final Fantasy Online and quit within a month like the lot of you.... ooohhh burn.
Final Fantasy isn't at all dead. In fact I believe it won MMO of the year from a few places and the fan base is still strong as hell. So technically fawning over Final Fantasy wasn't bad to say the least. It lived up to the hype for many of us, just too much to do to little to do it with.

One more thing, I got a burn for you.

"Feya wins the roll for Smoldering Egg of Millagazor"
Feya: FUCK YEAH BITCHES
Cradexw: I bet he quits next week
Next raid week: "Moving on from WoW" or something
Cradexw in guild chat: "I'm a fucking psychic"