SteamOS

Reviews for gaming here.

Moderator: Officers

Scree

Re: SteamOS

Post by Scree » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:37 pm

I don't doubt Nintendo will keep trying. I don't think they are going anywhere. In 5 years who knows where the technology of gaming will be at. So yea, you're right, the idea that they might not make another console will likely be based on where our technology innovation has gone in the time.

That doesn't mean transforming into a software company is a bad move. As more and more hardware becomes harder and harder to tell apart (basically all running generic PC parts at this point)...what will be left for them beyond trying to convince gamers to buy a non-unique set of hardware to run their unique games? Seems like a poor business model considering the recent shift of most developers to developing for every platform and letting the gamers pick their system to play on.

Lets be clear, I'm not a fan of exclusive titles by any means. I'd of been far more inclined to try out Nintendo's titles if they were on Steam. I'm far less likely to purchase an actual console from them (especially considering how dated it is compared to my PC).
-Feya aka Firepatch aka Scree

Trenfen
Officer
Officer

Post by Trenfen » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:33 am

Nintendo at least tries to push the envelope on developing new hardware interaction. Sony/M$ just copy stuff that Nintendo did that people like. Otherwise, PS4/XB1 are just faster parts and nothing new. zzzzz. Without nintendo's need to differentiate itself from just pushing out the same hardware in a different shaped box, we wouldn't be playing with a lot of the technologies we take for granted now.
Trenfen#1656

Kaejin

Post by Kaejin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:23 pm

Scree wrote:That doesn't mean transforming into a software company is a bad move. As more and more hardware becomes harder and harder to tell apart (basically all running generic PC parts at this point)...what will be left for them beyond trying to convince gamers to buy a non-unique set of hardware to run their unique games? Seems like a poor business model considering the recent shift of most developers to developing for every platform and letting the gamers pick their system to play on.
... What company are we talking about again?

Nintendo has been the only console company to feature unique hardware packaged into their consoles, unless you want to count the Vita for having a touch pad on the back of it.
Nijeak
Battle Tag: Tor#1895

Scree

Post by Scree » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:01 pm

Kaejin wrote:
Scree wrote:That doesn't mean transforming into a software company is a bad move. As more and more hardware becomes harder and harder to tell apart (basically all running generic PC parts at this point)...what will be left for them beyond trying to convince gamers to buy a non-unique set of hardware to run their unique games? Seems like a poor business model considering the recent shift of most developers to developing for every platform and letting the gamers pick their system to play on.
... What company are we talking about again?

Nintendo has been the only console company to feature unique hardware packaged into their consoles, unless you want to count the Vita for having a touch pad on the back of it.
Pretty sure your both wrong; Kinect on the XBOX 360/One? A lot more innovative imo then the primitive motion sensing technology inside the Wii.

Also, while it might be trivial by todays standards the original XBOX was the first console to include built-in networking. Nintendo barely tolerates an online presence in its consoles (doing so likely so it doesn't seem so analog and out of date compared to the current gen systems now).

Laithina

Post by Laithina » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:27 pm

Maybe more accurate but not really more innovative - one used a camera one sensors in the controller... More to the point what was it building off of? The wildly popular Wii game system. Primative yes, but so were the horse and buggys before cars came about.
Laithina = [color=#00BFFF]Laithina[/color], [color=#0040FF]Skyl[/color], [color=#400080]Sylphy[/color], [color=#FF8040]Kaboomkina[/color], [color=#BF0000]Skyliss[/color], [color=#40BF00]Scryzina[/color], [color=#FF40BF]Skylphina[/color], [color=#FFFF00]Chasimo[/color], [color=#BF8000]Indarielle[/color] - 85; [color=#FFFFFF]Wrigglefuzz[/color] - 40

FOR THE [color=#FF0000]HORDE![/color]

Trenfen
Officer
Officer

Post by Trenfen » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:31 pm

Everyone was using dpads till the n64 came out with the analog stick.

Also like how you compare the kinect with the wii when one came out 4 years after the other... wonder what gave MS the inspiration to go with motion sensing input devices...
Trenfen#1656

cradex

Post by cradex » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:10 pm

Scree

Post by Scree » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:39 am

Its a neat trick, changing the subject. You all say Nintendos doing fine, then I link a half dozen articles that show its not... and you move on to ? Innovative steps Nintendo has taken? What good is that if they are having their basically worst financial year in modern history? :P

Also, when Kinect was revealed it garnered an incredible amount of sales; and it remains one of the fastest selling electronics products in this decade. Companies are allowed to build on other ideas and do it better. Thats exactly what Microsoft did with the Kinect.... they made a better product (unlike Nintendo, which made a "tablet" instead of improving on the motion sensing technology).

Don't worry I noticed you all ignored the second example of built-in networking. Cherry picking fanboys. The lot of you (coincidently, explains the love for FFXIVIVIV)

Defac
Officer
Officer

Post by Defac » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:59 am

Look. I think you want Nintendo to either release a ps4/x1 equivalent or go away. They're not going to release a powerhouse with superior specs and networking. What they are going to do is make fun games on their console.

Unfortunately, for the Wii U, they haven't made any games for it yet besides 1-2 tech demo esque games.

ferret

Post by ferret » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:10 am

I think you're misunderstanding. No one is claiming Nintendo is doing "great" right now. They're simply stating a belief that Nintendo will recover and continue with hardware, as they have at many points in their history, as opposed to your expectation that they will jump ship on hardware.

Nintendo has different aims than MS and Sony. The Wii showed that. The Wii U didn't carry that on. They'll regroup and do something else. But the idea they'll simply walk away from the market? Just silly.
YUMI, EXTREME PROTECTION PALADIN. PROTECTION OF THE EXTREMEIST LEVEL.

cradex

Post by cradex » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:16 am

Don't get why you keep bringing Final Fantasy into this but ok.

Daedae

Post by Daedae » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:44 am

Here's a good read that may explain some of Wii U's struggles:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... side-story

A statement that stood out to me:
"At some point in this conversation we were informed that it was no good referencing Live and PSN as nobody in [Nintendo's] development teams used those systems (!) so could we provide more detailed explanations for them?"
wait... this is a SteamOS thread?
Sabraac is ded
Chikane rezzed

cradex

Post by cradex » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:49 am

If there's one thing everyone in this thread can agree on, it's that it feels good to see Chikane again. HAI!

Mendol

Post by Mendol » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:14 pm

cradex wrote:Image
I can never keep straight whether that's Steve Ballmer, Kevin (from the office), or Jeff (from Chuck).

Laithina

Post by Laithina » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:19 pm

I'm just curious but... is there anything you think is going to do well or dare I say even like? Just curious because everything is doom and gloom and sucks whether you've tried it or not.

P.S. - I still play FFXIV and I enjoy it.
Laithina = [color=#00BFFF]Laithina[/color], [color=#0040FF]Skyl[/color], [color=#400080]Sylphy[/color], [color=#FF8040]Kaboomkina[/color], [color=#BF0000]Skyliss[/color], [color=#40BF00]Scryzina[/color], [color=#FF40BF]Skylphina[/color], [color=#FFFF00]Chasimo[/color], [color=#BF8000]Indarielle[/color] - 85; [color=#FFFFFF]Wrigglefuzz[/color] - 40

FOR THE [color=#FF0000]HORDE![/color]

Trenfen
Officer
Officer

Post by Trenfen » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:21 pm

The fanboy argument is lame and lazy. I'd just as easily argue you're a hater and thus discount all of your statements as haterade and be done.

Anyways, I had to re-read the argument from where it started (a random Nintendo dig by you) to see how it derailed to this point. Your prediction of imminent failure of Nintendo as a hardware maker was rebuffed by unrequited who stated that nintendo has recovered from bigger failures than wii u, which you didn't respond to but instead shifted the argument to wii u sales figures while getting in random trolls at FF14. People (like you) have been predicting nintendo's demise since gamecube vs ps2 and they're still around and kicking.

Most people who 'predict' things are full of shit and are just out for views. Weren't people predicting the demise of pc-gaming during the height of ps3/360? Now, "console gaming is doomed" because of mobile hardware. People are also forgetting the number of people who game these days is vastly increased so hard sales figures need a ton of context.

Puzzle and Dragons is bringing in a reported $75m USD per month in Japan alone. They also have a US version and now an EU version. WoW at its height (12m subs) was only raking in $180m/mo. There's plenty of money floating around and the definition of 'success' in Japan is far different than the western viewpoint, so I doubt Nintendo will be bothered by the current state of the wii u.
Trenfen#1656

Kaejin

Post by Kaejin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:33 pm

Daedae wrote:Here's a good read that may explain some of Wii U's struggles:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... side-story

A statement that stood out to me:
"At some point in this conversation we were informed that it was no good referencing Live and PSN as nobody in [Nintendo's] development teams used those systems (!) so could we provide more detailed explanations for them?"
wait... this is a SteamOS thread?
Yeah I think that was likely what scared off a lot of initial support for the Wii U. There's been a number of devs that stood up and said things aren't like that anymore (that developing for the Wii U was no worse than for the other consoles) since that piece was posted, but it seems it's hard to make up for that initial impression on the bigger dev houses.

Also when I was talking about unique technology I thought to myself "does the Kinect count?" when I was writing that post. I've worked a little with motion capture tech when I was in school. Kinect is basically a (much) less accurate motion capture camera without having to strap ping pong balls to yourself. I found the Wiimote, 3D without annoying glasses, and WiiU tablet controller much more convincing. Even the touch pad on the back of the Vita is a good and novel idea, even if it was spawned from the DS's use of a touch screen. Kinect was Microsoft's Playstation Move, which was Sony's Wiimote. I guess it's better effort than the Move since that pretty much WAS a Wiimote, but I think maybe it might have been better if it had worked or something. I dunno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J5mkoCiuzs
Nijeak

Disciple
Officer
Officer

Post by Disciple » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:45 am

Kinect needs the Oculus Rift to really reach it's full potential. If they can make that union happen, sky's the limit.

Kaejin

Post by Kaejin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:44 am

First company to dump me in a vat of nutrients and plug a giant needle into my brain gets my vote.
Nijeak

Scree

Post by Scree » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:30 am

I'll let you beta test that one 3;>