[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Shining Force :: Forums • View topic - Puzzle and Dragons

Shining Force :: Forums

Shining Force Discussion
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Puzzle and Dragons
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:05 am 
Officer

Anyone else play? I'm definitely addicted.

Trenfen#1656

Post subject: Re: Puzzle and Dragons
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:24 pm 

Just watched a video for that, never played, but I've played 10,000,000 which is similar:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:03 pm 

10m was SUPER fun! Sad when I finished it.

I'll have to give P&D a shot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:26 pm 
Officer

It's more like a pokemon game (so I've heard, I've never played any pokemon) than that 10m game you linked. The puzzle part is where you battle to collect monsters, which you have to feed other monsters to level them up and feed special monsters to evolve them to their next stage (the pokemon aspect). The puzzle part is also a "free move" type where you can pick up 1 orb and move it however much you want for 5 secs (default timer, though there are certain monsters that can extend it).

The parts I love about the game are the very precise mathematical aspects that allow you to build a specific team in order to beat a dungeon. All the information is known and almost all major encounters are 95% predictable, the only random variables being their damage sometimes (rarely) have a small damage range, and different counters they start with. Of course, orbs dropping are random, and there's a large luck factor that players call "orb trolling" where you can get screwed if you play a team that requires certain orbs to activate skills or stay alive.

This guy is tubegameplayer, a mythical, godlike player (or syndicate of players -- nobody knows his identity), whose account is absolutely insane (worth at least 5 figures probably, the amount of magic stones he carries is worth $3000 alone) and has insane orb matching skills.

Trenfen#1656

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:53 am 

Sigh, what have you done....

friend me?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:45 am 
Officer

Sure, my friend ID is 351,868,278. I run SoD Lucifer, Valkyrie, Byakko, and Freyr leads. Also have a 2nd acct, 395,568,271 where I run Karin only.

Today is a good day to start playing since there's a godfest until 8pm PST tonight.

The game forces you to spend 5 magic stones (the in-app purchase currency) when you create an account and roll the REM (rare egg machine, costs 5 stones) once. You get magic stones for clearing a dungeon levels, during special events, etc. Since the game forces you to roll the REM machine once, you can delete your in-game data and keep re-rolling until you get a good roll (it's a bit soulcrushing since you have to do the tutorial every time, takes 5-7 minutes per reroll), but if you're serious, it's worth doing.

Re-roll by closing PAD, using a program like iTools to go into your PAD folder and remove (and save) your data048.bin and data056.bin files.

A godfest is where certain god groups have a 3x chance of spawning, so rerolling is not as soulcrushing as normal.

http://puzzleanddragonsforum.com/showth ... p?tid=6337

That thread is a good summary of what is considered a "good" starting roll. Also, always choose the red starting dragon. IMO, if you plan on being non-IAP a.k.a not spending any cash on this game, then only settle for Lucifer, Horus, Kirin, Bastet, Byakko, Kushinada, Okuninushi, Loki.

Trenfen#1656

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:51 am 
Officer

You can get pretty far in this game without spending a cent (especially if you roll a Lucifer), but a large portion of the fun of this game (for me, anyway) is building the many many different types of teams, so if you're serious, you'll end up spending.

Three major resources:

PAD Wikia - http://pad.wikia.com/wiki/Puzzle_%26_Dragons_Wiki
PAD Forum - http://puzzleanddragonsforum.com/
PADx - http://www.puzzledragonx.com/

Trenfen#1656

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:07 pm 

I've gotten a Vampire Lord and Dragon Knight from the rare egg machine. I don't feel like trying to reroll and game it at this point. Hopefully I can get another roll in before the event ends.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:21 pm 
Officer

Which dragon knight? Vamp Lord is okay, but he's farmable so it's a bit of a waste, but he's still fine for a beginning leader.

He's a good start to a mono-dark team, try to rank up as much as you can today, grab an ogre, and run the Friday dungeon and try to grab some dub-mythlits. You'll need some auto-healer friends (Siren the Enchantress, Alraune, Amaterasu). I have a siren I can run if you get to this point later.

Trenfen#1656

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:30 pm 

Wood/Green Dragon knight. I haven't begun to really get into the meta game or strategy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:00 pm 
Officer

green knight is also decent for a beginner spike damage team. you can go with either vamp or ADK. what level of evolution did you get? If you got vamp lord, that's pretty good, one step from his final evo (duke vampire lord). green dragon knight is also one below max evo (ancient dragon knight).

Trenfen#1656

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:26 pm 

Yeah it's a Vamp Lord, not Vampire. I've chewed through most of the dungeons with little effort right now, just a prismatic team right now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:48 pm 
Officer

yeah try to rank up and grab those dub mythlits if you can. even the dub-amelits will be fine. with your vamp lord, you really want all dark subs to maximize his damage modifier. the dublits are good because they offer great hp/atk/rcv for their low team cost of 1.

Trenfen#1656

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:34 pm 

I'm ID 388,253,207 - been playing for a few months now but mostly casually. Have Archangel Uriel, Freyr, Flare Drall, Metero Volcano Dragon, Empress Echidna, Firedragon Tyrannos, Shaitan, Idunn&Idunna, Megalodran, Siegfried the Blue Champion, Siren, Undine, Angel, Vampire Lord, Graviton Earth Dragon, Alraune, and a few others that I mix/match as needed for fights...but still nowhere near able to tackle the Mythical/Legendary stuff. Still working mostly on selectively farming mats for ultimate evolutions, saving up magic eggs for shots at better monsters, and just leveling everyone up or (now) trying to unlock awoken attributes.

Fun game...but I try to keep it to short bursts or just a few runs at dungeons per day. Definitely a good "casual" game for iPad/iPhone devices IMO...but I can see how you could spend some serious time and coin in this if you really wanted to.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:44 pm 
Officer

I started playing during the Chinese/Archangel godfest luckily and rolled AA Lucifer, which is like mega easy mode. Tackled Hera and Two Heroes which allowed me to take on Valkyrie, Hera-Is, Zeus, Goemon and just killed Satan.

Trenfen#1656

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:46 pm 

Nice.

I've definitely had sh*t for luck in all the godfests and with any dungeon runs. RNG is not my friend in this game for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:13 pm 

344,283,238 is my valkyrie lead acct

i rolled a bunch and saved some others, but right now this is the main one i am playing, might switch over to my kushinadahime acct some time

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:34 pm 
Officer

nice, i run valk most farming days now unless i need luci for something.

Trenfen#1656

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:07 am 

Holy crap, Nintendo just announced that they're rebranding it Puzzle Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition (along with the original game bundled in) for 3DS. No dragons, all Mario, it looks awesome, and I think (hope) they're cutting all of the microtransaction stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:43 pm 

Since it's a game with an upfront price I imagine most of the micro transactions are gone. I base this on the fact that they also announced a Pokemon themed puzzle game that's very similar but is free to play with micro transactions involved and they outright stated that it had them, while with the Puzzle and Dragons game they didn't say it was free and didn't mention micro transactions.

I mean I could be wrong but that was my take on it.

Battle Tag: Tor#1895