State of Decay

Reviews for gaming here.

Moderator: Officers

Disciple
Officer
Officer

State of Decay

Post by Disciple » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:19 am

So I thought I'd try this out since I'm always looking for a good zombie game. Here's what my experience was:

- Start game (notice UI is absolutely horrible)
- Change resolution (resolution changes every time you slide the bar, abysmal implementation)
- Start a new game
- See that my apparent buddy is getting attacked by zombies
- Go stand by canoe and watch as I learn that my buddy is actually a super hero, and cannot be killed by any number of creatures, and that he can kill 8 zombies with ease
- Am told we should go to the ranger station
- Decide fuck that, I'll go where I want
- Run past some campsites to a bridge that is--- you guessed it, in the oldest cliche of game design, broken. Apparently this is an island.
- We find out that actually, the above cliche was the brightest move the game designer made, because his only solution for walking/swimming across a narrow river, was an invisible wall.
- Go to the ranger station, as the last of any hope for this game dwindles out of me
- In the ranger station, am given 'go and do this around this tiny island'
- Quit game, not wanting to connect A-B for the rest of the game at the whims of a narrow minded game designer

Here's what I was hoping for from the description of the game:

- Appear in some random place in a town with a random (or make your own) character
- No instructions except basic controls prompts when needed
- No stupid missions that have goals and descriptions (tip: if you can't make 'surviving' and 'finding weapons/food/other survivors' goal enough for a player in a zombie game, you shouldn't be a game designer)
- Creative ways to solve game boundaries (ie, a large swarm of endless zombies that the player can try to fight on the outskirts of town, but is an instant death sentence to try)

This is the same problem I had with dead island, and why I quit that as well. The first dead rising wasn't bad, since I could ignore all the quests and just do whatever I wanted (didn't try the later ones yet).

Scree

Re: State of Decay

Post by Scree » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:04 pm

Funny how you picked this up. I wrote a review on it about a week ago; http://scr.ee/9

Your initially dropped into a tutorial mode... the fact that you grew frustrated and didn't want to act in it was a little shortsighted in my opinion. You literally CAN do anything you want once you've completed the little area. That starting location is not one that your locked in to. The bridge is out, yes, but their are specific areas that have ledges you can climb up on to get to the other side. You shouldn't ever be locked in, even at the beginning. If your talking about the limitations of technology that don't allow you to traverse an entire globe, then well, I don't know what to tell you ... we aren't there yet.

This was a story integrated game, however, the first DLC coming out in two weeks adds "infinity mode" which basically deletes the story components and ramps up difficulty as you try to survive. Story is important in my opinion, however, as it portrays what might REALLY occur during a zombie apocalypse. Not everyone is going to handle it the same way and the game attempts to show how different people might cause problems based on their past in a story driven mode. Walking Dead isn't about the zombie apocalypse as much as its about the people who are surviving the apocalypse. IF your looking for a brain dead zombie slaughter fest, then yea, Dead Rising is more your style (but it too has story elements).

Again, you seemed to have decided that your not interested in the tutorial, but I highly recommend you finish it and give the game a real shot. Your argument thus far is seemingly more like "I wanted to play Counter Strike in WoW, but since they didn't let me play Counter Strike I threw away the game entirely".

Edit: my review touches upon almost every point of contention you have with the game. I found it funny re-reading through my review compared to yours. Also, shortly after publishing my story and tweeting it, the game developers community liaison contacted me and signed me up to receive a free DLC for my review. Pretty damn nifty. I really hope these guys make this game into an MMO.
-Feya aka Firepatch aka Scree

Disciple
Officer
Officer

Post by Disciple » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:05 pm

The bridge is out, yes, but their are specific areas that have ledges you can climb up on to get to the other side. You shouldn't ever be locked in, even at the beginning.
Where are these ledges? If you can point them out I'll be happy to continue on, since I can apparently skip this tutorial and continue to the real game where everything is totally different.
If your talking about the limitations of technology that don't allow you to traverse an entire globe, then well, I don't know what to tell you ... we aren't there yet.
That's not at all what I'm asking for. I just want a better boundary system than invisible walls. In this day and age, that's not a lofty goal.
Story is important in my opinion, however, as it portrays what might REALLY occur during a zombie apocalypse. Not everyone is going to handle it the same way and the game attempts to show how different people might cause problems based on their past in a story driven mode.
There is nothing wrong with story in a game. However mission based story is hackneyed and stupid, and not at all what might really happen during a zombie apocalypse. If the entire game and story pauses to wait while I find a water tower to climb up, that breaks the realism right away.
Your argument thus far is seemingly more like "I wanted to play Counter Strike in WoW, but since they didn't let me play Counter Strike I threw away the game entirely".
No, I read that this was a sandbox game where I could do what I wanted in a zombie world. It wasn't a sandbox game, and so I threw it away entirely.

Maybe my expectations were a little too high, but for me, sandbox means sandbox, not missions, invincible partners, invisible walls and no say in story options.

But like I said, if you can find me those ledges to skip this tutorial area, I'll give it another shot.

Fanfan
Officer
Officer

Post by Fanfan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:15 pm

so if i'm expecting a Skyrim style walking dead zombie sandbox, I will be thoroughly disappointed?

Disciple
Officer
Officer

Post by Disciple » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:47 pm

Let me put it this way fanfan, if they aren't a zombie, you can't kill them. How's that for realism.

Oh, and a sidenote. I thought-- ok, let's go out with a bang. At the very least, as part of the sandbox experience, I'll just kill myself by jumping off the water tower, or running into zombies, because I can't stand living in this world gone to hell. Sounds reasonable right.

YOU CAN'T DIE! I'm not shitting you-- you are completely invincible. I had 10 zombies eating at me, and it just says 'press space bar to get up'. What the hell is that??? My invincible friend just killed all the zombies and apparently we're good to go again! Back with full health!

Oh god-- and just so you know, I found that ledge. Before going to the ranger station. There was no way to get up. After completing that ranger station crap, they just magically put another ledge in so you could get up! That's the laziest shit I've ever seen. This is like one game designer half assing the entire game, though I guess I shouldn't expect any different from mr. magic wall.

Disciple
Officer
Officer

Post by Disciple » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:19 pm

I just can't help to keep commenting-- so I arrived at some church, and this girl was like 'lets take a tour'. I was like, 'ok no, I'm going to get out of here now that the tutorial is done and I can go on my way'.

What do I get a but a big old 'MISSION FAILED' in red letters as I run away from the church, and then-- IT TELEPORTS ME BACK! Afterwards it gives me another 'go fetch this' quest, because I didn't get enough of that shit in mmorpgs. Hey, I thought this was a sandbox game, not WoW!

Disciple
Officer
Officer

Post by Disciple » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:35 pm

I will say that I was happy that after I killed my main character deliberately, I was given a new one that didn't have to do the other retarded quest. Though Lily had to open her fat mouth and give me some more bitch work to do anyway.

I drove around for a bit, and the world is decently sized, so I might dig around for a bit. It's still HIGHLY disappointing you can't kill non-zombie NPC's though. In what zombie universe does that make any sense.

Scree

Post by Scree » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:28 pm

I didn't realize you believed this to be a sandbox world. That phrase gets tossed around far too easily for my comfort. Your definition of sandbox != everyone elses. I'm not saying it to be critical, its just in my experience "Sandbox" has taken on a living breathing undefinable trait (at least from a developer/marketing standpoint). EVE Online is easily considered one of the best Sandbox's in the gaming universe and it has missions (lots of them actually). Your definition is personal opinion at this point, and highly arbitrary.

I never once thought to kill off someone I was in a party with. Though technically it would be rather easy; just invite them to go with you and run into a horde. Makes the game a lot harder since in a survival apocalypse your goal isn't to kill the humans. On a side note, I'm not going to hang out with you when Zombies actually do happen ;p

Again your initial complaint still seems to be centered around the entry tutorial. Which <shrug> didn't bother me. Tutorials aren't a bad thing and their audience isn't always hardcore players. Remember too this was made for console players initially, which perfectly explains the low bar they set on intelligence for their primary audience. I also discovered that during the tutorial you are invincible. Again, this was an area designed to teach you the harsh realities of the game, without punishing you for them. Try wading into the zombie apocalypse after the tutorial and tell me how invincible you are.

Yes Cars are the best weapon in the game.

ferret

Post by ferret » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:36 pm

Scree wrote:Makes the game a lot harder since in a survival apocalypse your goal isn't to kill the humans. On a side note, I'm not going to hang out with you when Zombies actually do happen ;p
The goal in a survival apocalypse is to survive. And that includes killing other humans to take their stuff. ;)
YUMI, EXTREME PROTECTION PALADIN. PROTECTION OF THE EXTREMEIST LEVEL.

Scree

Post by Scree » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:41 pm

Again the games trying to portray a very real need to band together to survive. I agree there may be times in an apocalypse where once has to kindly disagree with other humans and remove them from contention, but I guess the game developers didn't want to tackle that question in their console first-player only experience. They are working on an MMO (supposedly) which will dive into that territory a bit more.

Heres a preview trailer of the upcoming DLC in a week or so..

phpBB [video]

Trenfen
Officer
Officer

Post by Trenfen » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Having a zombie apocalypse doesn't automagically cure assholism. You are operating in a fantasy zombie apocalypse where everyone suddenly plays nice for the benefit of humankind. Call me a cynic but I'm willing to bet the people who are assholes now would become even bigger assholes in a state of anarchy.
Trenfen#1656

Scree

Post by Scree » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Can't disagree with that sentiment. It's dealt with in he game by allowing you to "vote" people out...akin to a death sentence in this environment.

Fanfan
Officer
Officer

Post by Fanfan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:29 pm

if you follow the WAlking dead series, you would know not to trust other humans.

ferret

Post by ferret » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:19 am

Scree wrote:Can't disagree with that sentiment. It's dealt with in he game by allowing you to "vote" people out...akin to a death sentence in this environment.
I don't "vote" people out. I shoot them and take their canned goods.
YUMI, EXTREME PROTECTION PALADIN. PROTECTION OF THE EXTREMEIST LEVEL.

Sith
Officer
Officer

Post by Sith » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:58 pm

Do you guys know any place where one can vote for best threads ever? I have a good candidate...