[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Shining Force :: Forums • View topic - Overwatch

Shining Force :: Forums

Shining Force Discussion
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Overwatch
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:36 pm 

So, I'm pretty much geeking out for this.

http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/

Looks like Blizzard's take on TF2, kinda?

Post subject: Re: Overwatch
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:25 pm 

Yeah, that's what it seems like to me. Makes me curious about what Titan was going to be like since this is what they salvaged from it.

For some reason the art style isn't screaming "Blizzard" to me, though. Not exactly sure what seems off about it.

Battle Tag: Tor#1895

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:41 am 

It was definitely a lot of fun to play (over and over again). Very much like TF2 in some ways, but the characters did feel pretty differentiated already and the few maps/gameplay modes they had were all a) gorgeous and b) pretty fun. Felt to me like there were some minor balance issues in some of the characters vs. their supposed role, but I'm sure that'll all get worked out. The only thing that drove me nuts time and time again was the lack of a 'sprint' key with SHIFT. I'm sure I'll get over it or they'll continue to hone the run-speed vs. movement benefits of the different characters.

The art style is definitely not your "standard" Blizzard fare, it's more like playing a real-time Disney/Pixar film (much like the cinematic trailer)...but the 'look' works and it feels very smooth/polished (at least to me). I thought everything was pretty gorgeous and spent half the time just checking out the little details on the various levels. My guess is that this is what the visuals on Titan would have been, largely, and the characters/world is where the MMO would have been storyline-wise, they just decided it wasn't working or would have been too much like WildStar or something and made it TF3 instead.

Now I just have to wait longer than I care to for whenever they open up an alpha/beta and pray I get in. : /

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:30 pm 

I loved it! Healing in a fps style game is just epic

WoW: shamps#1857 Neverwinter: Shamps@Xarkia on Mindflayer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:44 pm 

never played medic in TF2?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:38 am 

I wonder what the price tag/monetization scheme will be. Even if it's a step up from TF2 I can't see them competing well against a free to play game made by an equally esteemed dev like Valve if it's 60 bux or something.

Battle Tag: Tor#1895

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:50 am 
Officer

My guess-- free to play with tons of extras like LoL.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:53 am 
Officer

I played the demo several times this weekend and managed to try every character except for Widowmaker and Zenyatta. Initially I thought it was very similar to TF2, but the biggest difference is that instead of being class based it's hero based and those heroes fall into one of three roles: Damager/Tank/Support

All the maps are objective based and the heroes have some very differentiated abilities, so it is actually more of a fps/moba mash-up then a TF2 clone.

And it was fun, even at this early stage.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:12 am 

TF2 had a rock-paper-scissors approach to class balance but I don't get that feeling in this game. Wouldn't the variety of characters pose unavoidable balancing issues? WoW's always had issues with balance in Arena.... so its a challenge thats rarely resolved (more pushed off to the next patch when it begins anew).

The other idea that looked difficult to comprehend was the idea that a team based game can be emphasized to the point that the game doesn't devolve into a deathmatch. Its certainly intriguing, but I'm highly dubious of their ability to do this. I've seen objective based games in Battlefield 4/TF2 most recently, and half the team ignores them trying to wrack up kills. Thats not to say that if a team worked together to do the objectives that they wouldn't win overwhelming .... but some people could care less if your team wins... as long as >I< personally have the highest K:D ratio.

If they were to remove the "stats" (Kills/Deaths) portion of the game from an in-game scoreboard, it might work. Players focused on an overall "score" might be inclined to work together. I don't see how they'd accomplish this any other way.

I agree that this will likely be a "Free to Play" title; though I'm personally not interested in buying new hats for TF2 so I likely won't be helping them much in Overwatch. It is Blizzard though, so I wouldn't put it past them for taking a Guild Wars 2 approach and selling a box copy and then providing unlimited updates.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:29 pm 
Officer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:20 pm 

Yea. Beyond removing the K:D ratio, I don't see how team objectives would be an emphasis for anyone. I know I'd likely just focus on killing all of the carebear Blizzard cross over players the whole time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:15 am 

I'm 100% sure I'll get/play this game, however it's released. I agree with Disc et al that my bet would be F2P with the ability to buy access to characters outside of a free rotation (similar to Heroes), but who knows. It's really in Blizz's mind as to how they think they can get as many people to play it and make as much money as possible. ;)

Also curious to see what "other" characters and things are yet to come. They said this gamut of characters was just the start, so who knows how many will be there at launch and what other game modes/additions they'll make.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:21 pm 
Officer

Played 40 matches.

Game is good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:19 am