Simcity

Reviews for gaming here.

Moderator: Officers

Oblivion

Re: Simcity

Post by Oblivion » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:10 am

I've watched a few live streams of this over the past few days to see if I should buy it. The plots are pretty small like in that picture. However every city in a region can share their resources with one another. I guess they did this to encourage people to make/share certain resources based on what you can do within your plot.

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/SimCity If you want to check out the gameplay instead of dropping 80$ to see for yourself.

Fanfan
Officer
Officer

Post by Fanfan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:37 am

anyone able to get in to play? servers overloaded for me. fuck DRM. funny I work 5 minutes from EA headquarters, i should go over there and drop kick their front door in protest.

Laithina

Post by Laithina » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:02 pm

I have been in and played. It's neat. Issues arise quickly though and with little money. It is possible that I am spending surpluses too quickly... I don't know. City layout is different than all other sim cities I've played.
Laithina = [color=#00BFFF]Laithina[/color], [color=#0040FF]Skyl[/color], [color=#400080]Sylphy[/color], [color=#FF8040]Kaboomkina[/color], [color=#BF0000]Skyliss[/color], [color=#40BF00]Scryzina[/color], [color=#FF40BF]Skylphina[/color], [color=#FFFF00]Chasimo[/color], [color=#BF8000]Indarielle[/color] - 85; [color=#FFFFFF]Wrigglefuzz[/color] - 40

FOR THE [color=#FF0000]HORDE![/color]

blue

Post by blue » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:43 pm

i did not think i would buy this. then i watched a live stream.

god it looked fun.

so yeah, downloading and updating.

zeetes

Post by zeetes » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:19 pm

Fanfan wrote:anyone able to get in to play? servers overloaded for me. fuck DRM. funny I work 5 minutes from EA headquarters, i should go over there and drop kick their front door in protest.
i'll give you $10. should cover 2 gallons of gas in the m3, right?
i <3 pb & j

Laithina

Post by Laithina » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:05 pm

It's awesome... really.

Origin ID - Laithina
or bmxer_99@yahoo.com
Laithina = [color=#00BFFF]Laithina[/color], [color=#0040FF]Skyl[/color], [color=#400080]Sylphy[/color], [color=#FF8040]Kaboomkina[/color], [color=#BF0000]Skyliss[/color], [color=#40BF00]Scryzina[/color], [color=#FF40BF]Skylphina[/color], [color=#FFFF00]Chasimo[/color], [color=#BF8000]Indarielle[/color] - 85; [color=#FFFFFF]Wrigglefuzz[/color] - 40

FOR THE [color=#FF0000]HORDE![/color]

unrequited

Post by unrequited » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:59 pm

http://www.polygon.com/game/simcity-201 ... te_3815485

Review keeps dropping as EA is starting to remove features now to reduce server load(!?!).
-Unrequited

Fanfan
Officer
Officer

Post by Fanfan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:13 pm

zeetes wrote: i'll give you $10. should cover 2 gallons of gas in the m3, right?
wrong, 1.3 gallons, 100 octane fuel is like $7.69 / gallon here.

ckernan2
WoW Member
WoW Member

Post by ckernan2 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:15 pm

What in God's green Earth do you drive that requires 100 grade octane gasoline?
Shado-Master Zagam

Defac
Officer
Officer

Post by Defac » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:42 pm

Eazycheeze

Post by Eazycheeze » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:03 pm

I played the original sim city on pc. Do u guys even lift?
[url=http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Eazycheeze/advanced][img]http://i.imgur.com/xuEf5W6.gif[/img][/url]

Fanfan
Officer
Officer

Post by Fanfan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:06 pm

yeah i lift ducks.

unrequited

Post by unrequited » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:50 pm

: (

So pissed it's Origin only, and also that EA is screwing the pooch on this launch. I MIGHT get a goty version three years down the line with all the planned DLC to nickle and dime people, and when the userbase has dropped to 1/10th the current load. ...but then EA could shut down the servers at any time so there's the tradeoff there. Always-online single-player games are stupid.

Longer editorial with echo my thoughts here:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editoria ... nd-refusin

hah:

Even Forbes is getting in on the bashing, along with a whitehouse.gov petition calling for consumer protections across state lines:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevange ... ble-games/
-Unrequited

unrequited

Post by unrequited » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Hah, Sim City 4 is #21 on Amazon's currently best selling games, I don't know if this is supposed to be some sort of protest, but throwing money at a company you're protesting isn't exactly sending them a strong message:
http://www.amazon.com/SimCity-4-Deluxe- ... uctdetails
-Unrequited

Frungy

Post by Frungy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:02 pm

I'm bored with the game already. When I'm even able to get online anyway.

City square is tiny. What's the point of having curved roads when you'll only get like a tiny town? To get any city of decent size, you have to use grids, or you end up with a lot of wasted green space.

You can't even terraform the land. No adding your own river, your own mountain, nothing. So have a city square that's half mountain? Good luck getting anyone to live there, as you can only zone half the land.

There's no subway. When you reach a large population, your roads will become jammed. Your only mass transit option is a streetcar or bus (which of course gets stuck in the traffic.)

Your industry/commerce will complain that there aren't enough workers, even when most of your city is residential. No idea what that's about, I have a lot of both low income and middle class residents.

The transportation pathing is terrible. It takes shortest distance, and doesn't care about the size of the road. Got a wide boulevard and a dirt road between two locations, and the dirt road is 1 square faster? Everyone piles on it, nobody drives on the avenue. Also, I see my school buses go in circles making u-turns nonstop, while my residents complain that they can't get to school.

They're already charging 20 bucks to get a "London" and "Paris" city building set. On day 1. They're probably going to charge 20 bucks to enlarge the possible city size to something that's at least manageable.

Basically, this game doesn't hold a candle to Simcity 4, which is 10 years old. Due to fan-created content, simcity 4 looks incredible now with tons of options. Here's some examples-
http://www.squidoo.com/simcity4

Fanfan
Officer
Officer

Post by Fanfan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:15 pm

another way to play this game is instead of focusing on just your city, play on a region level. what I mean is, first develop your main city with a good balance of residential, commercial, and industries. then on an adjacent city within the region, focus on just one area, such as residential only. To save space, you can outsource a lot of the utilities, such as power, water, and garbage to your main city. The reason to play on a regional level is a lot of your sims will travel out of the city within the region to work/shop in other cities. once you have all the major areas setup, you can focus on more specialized cities, such as one dedicated to gambling, or whatever. anyways just a thought.

Ampzilla

Post by Ampzilla » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:20 pm

Fanfan wrote:another way to play this game is instead of focusing on just your city, play on a region level. what I mean is, first develop your main city with a good balance of residential, commercial, and industries. then on an adjacent city within the region, focus on just one area, such as residential only. To save space, you can outsource a lot of the utilities, such as power, water, and garbage to your main city. The reason to play on a regional level is a lot of your sims will travel out of the city within the region to work/shop in other cities. once you have all the major areas setup, you can focus on more specialized cities, such as one dedicated to gambling, or whatever. anyways just a thought.
I've heard/seen some problems with this currently with the servers not syncing your regions together correctly. So you don't get to build the things you need in cities even though you've already met the requirements in another city within the region..

Assuming you can get it to work though yes you can do this. BUT I want HUGE cities! =[

Ampzilla

Post by Ampzilla » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:26 pm

Also:

Steam responds to the controversy -

unrequited

Post by unrequited » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:22 am

A lot's being said about the Glassbox server-side calculations, and how they're pretty much all bunk, or at the least, only necessary for inter-city region play. Then there's the reports on how the agent-based modelling system is less than ideal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDeSRdHvefw

or in text form:
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Miscellaneous- ... U737060%5B
forum post wrote:Now, here is where it gets really good... In the evening, when work and school lets out, they all leave and proceed to the absolute closest "open" house. They don't "own" their houses. The "people" you see are actually just mindless agents (much like the utilities agents, as I said earlier) making the whole idea of "being able to follow a 'Sim' through their entire day" utterly POINTLESS!!"

The reason traffic problems cause so many other side-effects, is because EVERYTHING relies on those "people" who are stuck in herds trying to go to whatever closest "slot" they can fill.
-Unrequited

unrequited

Post by unrequited » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:40 am

Bunch more videos now that game websites have picked it up:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... athfinding
-Unrequited