Everquest Next

Reviews for gaming here.

Moderator: Officers

Mendol

Re: Everquest Next

Post by Mendol » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:59 pm

I can understand wanting to play during Alpha and Beta (and even being willing to pay for access), but the 'perk' of getting earlier access to beta and crafting bonuses specifically during alpha seems bizarre to me.

Scree

Post by Scree » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:08 pm

Especially considering bonuses during alpha are silly.... only the $100 players will be in it... wheres the competition? :P
-Feya aka Firepatch aka Scree

Morpheis
Officer
Officer

Post by Morpheis » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:58 am

15 year Anniversary of EverQuest March 16, fuuuuuck!
Threat is a tricky thing to balance. If it’s too easy to maintain, then the tank isn’t having fun. If it’s too hard to maintain, then nobody is having fun. - Ghostcrawler

Morpheis
Officer
Officer

Post by Morpheis » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:56 pm

Also, anyone else currently in the EQN Landmark alpha?
Threat is a tricky thing to balance. If it’s too easy to maintain, then the tank isn’t having fun. If it’s too hard to maintain, then nobody is having fun. - Ghostcrawler

Scree

Post by Scree » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:24 pm

I didn't buy the alpha trailblazer deal. Gonna wait till April when they go public beta (supposedly).

I'm looking forward to testing the actual combat and AI systems, which are going to be introduced in limited fashion into EQ Landmark in preparation/testing of for EQ Next. Short answer, I doubt anyone bought access to the game. No one was really hyped about this title beyond me and I didn't even pay to get in ;p

Ghalos

Post by Ghalos » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:56 pm

I'm really hyped about this game! Didn't buy into alpha though.

Morpheis
Officer
Officer

Post by Morpheis » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:02 am

I have to say, it's pretty damn impressive what people have already been able to create this early in the game with the tools that are currently available. It really does have a lot of promise for people who love to create things... now if only I was better at that :P

phpBB [video]

Scree

Post by Scree » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:58 pm

Carry over this type of city-building into a PvP game with sieging? Sign me up.

The potential EQ Next has with this tech behind it, its truly mindblowing when you begin to think about it.

Shamps

Post by Shamps » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:49 am

Scree wrote:Carry over this type of city-building into a PvP game with sieging? Sign me up.

The potential EQ Next has with this tech behind it, its truly mindblowing when you begin to think about it.
Too bad it's SoE.
WoW: shamps#1857 Neverwinter: Shamps@Xarkia on Mindflayer

Scree

Post by Scree » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:32 pm

Shamps wrote:
Scree wrote:Carry over this type of city-building into a PvP game with sieging? Sign me up.

Too bad it's SoE.
Normally I'd say look at their track record and that would be that. Yet, if you've been following Next/Landmark and how the staff (and Smedley) have been dealing with the public? You'd be surprised. I don't think any gaming company has a staff as vocal and committed to social media as they do. They are seriously involved with and listening to public opinion on their games lately. If this is a short term thing, or a long term company approach, I don't know. But If this is long term I'm going to disagree with you on writing off a game just because its SoE (though I'm willing to do exactly the same with Blizzard at this point).

Defac
Officer
Officer

Post by Defac » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:56 pm

Yet, if you've been following Next/Landmark and how the staff (and Smedley) have been dealing with the public? You'd be surprised. I don't think any gaming company has a staff as vocal and committed to social media as they do
Really?

http://www.mmo-champion.com
http://www.diablofans.com
- insert sc2 fan site here -

Just look at the dev tracker. Not even close. You got blue text all over the page. So much dev content being released there's no room for community topics. I'm not a big fan of Blizzard at this point either but I can't discredit the amount of work and involvement they put in with the community.

Scree

Post by Scree » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Defac wrote:
Yet, if you've been following Next/Landmark and how the staff (and Smedley) have been dealing with the public? You'd be surprised. I don't think any gaming company has a staff as vocal and committed to social media as they do
Really?

http://www.mmo-champion.com
http://www.diablofans.com
- insert sc2 fan site here -

Just look at the dev tracker. Not even close. You got blue text all over the page. So much dev content being released there's no room for community topics. I'm not a big fan of Blizzard at this point either but I can't discredit the amount of work and involvement they put in with the community.
I don't know, blue posts always seem to be Blizzard talking AT its audience. They certainly don't come away feeling like they are talking WITH them.

Wheres Blizzard on Reddit?
Wheres Blizzard on Twitter?

Just saying, commenting in your own circle of self-moderated forums is a far cry from diving off the deep end into your commercial audience. They can't really moderate/conceal/cover up Tweets or Reddit Posts as easily.

Defac
Officer
Officer

Post by Defac » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:18 pm

Using twitter on official accounts is diving off deep end? You think developers like SoE designers have free reign just to go on reddit / twitter? It's heavily guarded too bud.

Let me tell you why you're moonlighting for SoE. It's because you want them to your company, not some corporate spiel from "moderated forums" or whatever you call them. Not to be crude or mean but you're not special and they're not going to treat you like you are. Don't buy in based off community marketing hype.

EQ Next may be a great game and I certainly hope it is. But let's be real here, the mmo-ship probably has sailed.

Scree

Post by Scree » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:43 pm

I like what they are doing. When people are burned out (or burned through) all the content in Wild Star and TESO, It'll reinforce the need for sandbox MMO games more then the themepark ones we are getting this year. SOE has embraced this philosophy and so they have my respect, I'm just impressed with their level of communication with the community. It doesn't mean anything, if ultimately their products suck. Yet I still enjoy the approach.

Considering the opposite end of the spectrum is EA and how they basically ignore players, yea... its refreshing.

With that said, I personally haven't interacted with them in any way. So they aren't suckering me into anything. For someone like me, the game stands on its own. The rest is bullshit.

Defac
Officer
Officer

Post by Defac » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:04 pm

Yeah, the procedural stuff is great and I hope it succeeds.

Fanfan
Officer
Officer

Post by Fanfan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:38 am

you can communicate all you want with the community, but that doesn't make up for a shit game. Still too early to say anything about EQNext, but paying $100 to play an Alpha release is retarded.

plus in my opinion, lobbying improvements from the community is not always a good thing. You gotta look at the demographics of people who are always bitching on the forums to the developers, usually they failed badly and are bad in general.

Fanfan
Officer
Officer

Post by Fanfan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:58 pm

anyone else get invited to closed beta? because I just did.

Morpheis
Officer
Officer

Post by Morpheis » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm in it, but I've been focusing my energy on the 4 other games I have to play atm :x