Everquest Next

Reviews for gaming here.

Moderator: Officers

Scree

Everquest Next

Post by Scree » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:33 pm

Just thought I'd start a thread for this one. As a longtime EQ fan and veteran (both titles), I've been highly anticipating the next in the series. The original EQ still has a very fond place in my memories for being one of the hardest games to master (or grind through depending on your perspective). EQ 2 had a rockier launch, but caught its stride when it went F2P.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/20 ... #continued

This article has a summary of whats known, with the major official "launch" of information coming in early August (2 weeks or so from now) during the Sony Online's version of BlizzCon.

The major highlight for SF'ers is that the game will indeed be Free to Play at launch. Pretty amazing considering SOE is considered a top tier MMO developer (or 'was' considering your perspective again).
-Feya aka Firepatch aka Scree

Defac
Officer
Officer

Re: Everquest Next

Post by Defac » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Skeptical. Two points unrelated to the game:

#1: Time has changed and players aren't going to dedicate hours to downtime like before.
#2: Tons of games are out now compared to vanilla EQ days. No one's going to tolerate undesirable gameplay.

Alconds

Post by Alconds » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:20 pm

There may be enough people out there that like the older style of mmo to support a new f2p game in that style. They are still able to support eq1 and 2 to this day afaik.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/SYiBtaQ.gif[/img]
[b][color=#FF0000]Alconds#1537[/color][/b]

Defac
Officer
Officer

Post by Defac » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:59 pm

Sure, there are people that enjoy it but not enough to justify development and upkeep costs.

Scree

Post by Scree » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:07 pm

In the article Smedley states that EQN is NOT going to be like the older two games. Hence the reason they went with "Next" and not simply name it "EQ3". He even went so far as to state that the game was originally on course to be an EQ3 but that effort was erased and then rebooted from scratch.

I think Defacs right in that if they tried to go 'oldschool' the game would be a commercial flop. Luckily they don't have to justify sales numbers in a F2P game ;p

Trenfen
Officer
Officer

Post by Trenfen » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Scree wrote:Luckily they don't have to justify sales numbers in a F2P game ;p
Well it has to make them money or else people will get shitcanned. For F2P to work, the game needs to be good enough that enough people will not only play it, but decide they're playing it enough to spend money on cosmetic/quality of life purchases.

I personally am tired of the classic fantasy genre, elves, magic, etc. What will be revolutionary about this particular title that will set it apart from the 50 other fantasy mmos?

I'm also very wary of a F2P game becoming the next big thing. The model is rife with its own issues, from the constant monetizing opportunity updates, to every dev decision being suspiciously regarded as another way to generate sales. That's not to say the model itself is scummy -- I felt GW2 did it fairly well without withholding too much vital stuff, although to be fair, it wasn't a true F2P since everyone had to pay at least an initial $60.
Trenfen#1656

unrequited

Post by unrequited » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:12 am

Trenfen wrote:I personally am tired of the classic fantasy genre, elves, magic, etc. What will be revolutionary about this particular title that will set it apart from the 50 other fantasy mmos?
Finally coming around to my anti-fantasy mmo bashing of 2009?
viewtopic.php?p=6947#p6947

^_^

Here's the updated wiki from 2013, and it looks just as tired as it did back in '09. : ( Since then we've had SWtoR,Star Trek Online, DC Univese Online, and The Secret World, all of which were pretty poopy (to be fair, only shoulder-surfed SWtoR). : ( : (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MM ... le_MMORPGs
-Unrequited

Defac
Officer
Officer

Post by Defac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:45 am

wildstar looks fun

Fanfan
Officer
Officer

Post by Fanfan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:17 am

game sounds weak, but too early to tell anything. It's f2p, I can spare a weekend to beta test.

Scree

Post by Scree » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Yea I agree the genre is pretty washed up. Then again, most of them have been theme park oriented titles. I'm still waiting for a more sandbox-leaning fantasy title to come out. I suppose Shadowbane did it best so far, though Warhammer was okay for a brief moment in history. Darkfall is doing it right now with a PvP slant, but I honestly think their is room in the "sandbox" for a pure PvE experience (ala oldschool EQ).

I don't think thats what hes creating, in the sense that I think EQN will have PvP, but it would be interesting to see regardless.

Scree

Post by Scree » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:33 pm

https://www.soe.com/news?view=soe-live- ... m-schedule

Details about this game are going to flood the mother effin reddit site like nothing you've seen before.

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/

A good backup for details while at work....

Fanfan
Officer
Officer

Post by Fanfan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:32 am

you're very hyped on this game. that's not a smart thing to do, look what happen when STar wars episode 1 came out.

Scree

Post by Scree » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:26 am

It's very hard to not get hyped about this title. As an original EQ player, the notion of a new EQ will always inspire me to excited states.

Based on the tweets and interviews I've seen, I highly expect this thread to explode after SoE Live finishes. I'm not kidding, I think these guys are going to drop a revolutionary change in the MMO gaming creation mindset at their fanfest. I think Blizzard caught wind of what exactly they were working on, and knew right off the bat they couldn't compete (and hence Titan got scrubbed).

I won't defend why I'm hyped right now, but you'd best watch Friday night for the unveiling of their new Everquest. I personally cannot wait.

ferret

Post by ferret » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:44 am

You really believe Titan was scrapped over Sony doing a relaunch of EQ? :shock: That might be the biggest piece of MMO tinfoil hatting I've seen yet.

You're way over hyped, and I don't think we're going to see anything revolutionary here. Maybe it'll be worth giving a try for a month or two. As long as they don't do something silly like NWO did respec/retrain being behind the microtran wall.
YUMI, EXTREME PROTECTION PALADIN. PROTECTION OF THE EXTREMEIST LEVEL.

Alconds

Post by Alconds » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:45 am

Im more of a subscriber to the idea that it was built to be a subscription based mmo and they are rebuilding it to be more suited towards a f2p market. But either way who the hell knows.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/SYiBtaQ.gif[/img]
[b][color=#FF0000]Alconds#1537[/color][/b]

Scree

Post by Scree » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:47 am

Yea I'm not gonna lie, I've been turned into a fanboy for this game and I know only a few details of it.

One of the guys who helped me run my rogue-only guild back in early vanilla EQ days ended up on the team for this game. He hasn't exactly violated the NDA with me.... but I'm not telling more than that.

Needless to say, I myself am very curious about specific parts of the game. Brads been runnin his mouth off about Sandbox games for the last few years so heres to hoping we get a variation of EVE but fantasy genre'd and more emphasis on PvE.

Keywords for tomorrow; Spellweaving, Permadeath.

Just saying ;p

Defac
Officer
Officer

Post by Defac » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:57 pm

Scree

Post by Scree » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:14 pm

EverQuest Next Summary in Bullet Points:

*Artistic painted-art feeling to the world. Very WoW-ish for a modern MMO. Almost looks like a Pixar movie but displayed in real time.
*SOEmote, allows facial recognition within the game.
*Parkour movement. double jumps, etc.

Holy Grails
1.) Multi-classing: 8 classes, each class has weapons/abilities, exploration yields new classes (40 or so additional ones to find), mix and match abilities and skills to customize your character. Weapons are class defining weapons. As you change class your weapon abilities change with you.

2.) Destructability. Blow up anything, anytime, anywhere. Terrain destruction fully realized.
(Converse; Constructability also true). You WILL know where fights took place (lots of destructed environment signs)

3.) Life of Consequence, Emergent AI. Monsters move based on situations and 'tags'. Monsters will find a place to "camp" based on what they do or don't like. Actions like killing a camp, could lead to repercussions by other NPC monsters. New content is generated automatically. Not static spawns, dynamically and procedurally generated content.

4.) Permanent Change. Rallying calls are story-driven events. Akin to Public Quest, everyone's on the same quest. Events are world impactful and permanent. New cities (or destroyed ones) could be created/destroyed.

Scree

Post by Scree » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:27 pm

Was pleasantly surprised.

I think the 'living world' Guild Wars 2 has been using is gonna be put to shame when this game hits the market.

Defac
Officer
Officer

Post by Defac » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Looks really good. Wish it wasn't F2P. All I saw were avenues to nickel and dime.