SteamOS

Reviews for gaming here.

Moderator: Officers

Kaejin

Re: SteamOS

Post by Kaejin » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:23 am

Scree wrote:Honestly its not due to the fact that their recent console has for all intents and purposes (zing) failed. Its because gaming has and is moving on from consoles. When most games are developed for smart phones and tablets and NOT consoles... yea you have a very big culture shift.
People who think the future of gaming is on mobile devices. :roll:

I've had a mobile gaming device since I was four. Portable gaming and home gaming are different markets. They've coexisted for decades. It'll take something much more drastic than smart phones to put consoles and PC out of the picture. They don't do anything new and didn't steal home gaming customers, they just made games more accessible to people who didn't give them a second thought before now. Now those people go to the app store and get Angry Birds, Candy Crush, and other games that have existed as flash games piled on top of one another on poorly designed websites since the late 90's.
Nijeak
Battle Tag: Tor#1895

Scree

Post by Scree » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:40 am

Wasnt it the only MMO to come out? So... naturally if you award an "mmo of the year" doesn't it win by default? :P

And Cradex .... what does that have to do with anything? I played WoW for years. The only thing burning in your comment was my mount. Oh and I didn't waste 60 dollars on yet another MMO you "burned through" quickly.
-Feya aka Firepatch aka Scree

Laithina

Post by Laithina » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:57 am

At least it was tried and played and not bashed simply because of its name without any real inkling as to the gameplay itself.
Laithina = [color=#00BFFF]Laithina[/color], [color=#0040FF]Skyl[/color], [color=#400080]Sylphy[/color], [color=#FF8040]Kaboomkina[/color], [color=#BF0000]Skyliss[/color], [color=#40BF00]Scryzina[/color], [color=#FF40BF]Skylphina[/color], [color=#FFFF00]Chasimo[/color], [color=#BF8000]Indarielle[/color] - 85; [color=#FFFFFF]Wrigglefuzz[/color] - 40

FOR THE [color=#FF0000]HORDE![/color]

ferret

Post by ferret » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:08 am

I definitely 100% got my money's worth from FFXIV. ($40 btw, not $60). I didn't continue it, but I enjoyed my free month and had fun. What's it matter? I played it as much as any other non-MMO game in the same price bracket. I enjoyed the story and my character, then I moved on.
YUMI, EXTREME PROTECTION PALADIN. PROTECTION OF THE EXTREMEIST LEVEL.

cradex

Post by cradex » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:52 am

Don't want to turn this into a bashing thread, but you can ask the other members of #shiningfail for why it was a burn! Also, didn't you quit SWTOR after a month? Maybe it was a little after a month cause of the early access week.

Scree

Post by Scree » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Yea Cradex, and the same could be said of you and Defac for hyping up Guild Wars 2 and not even making it a month in that game. Whats your point?

Also I can take a bashing thread. Its rare anyone deviates from herd mentality in these forums lately. I have an immunity to it.

edit: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/12/21/ ... p=features Oddly enough Foxnews defending Nintendo. Sort of.

Defac
Officer
Officer

Post by Defac » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:33 pm

2 level 80s and 3/4 components for legendary weapon took me longer than 1 month. Move on to a different subject please.

Trenfen
Officer
Officer

Post by Trenfen » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:41 pm

Scree wrote:Also I can take a bashing thread. Its rare anyone deviates from herd mentality in these forums lately. I have an immunity to it.
You are unique, for sure. Either you're an utterly loyal fanboi or an unabashed hater, no in between. We know you dislike Square Enix, Blizzard, and Nintendo. It's well documented how you think those companies, which happen to be among the most successful and beloved in the gaming world, are destined to go out of business because of <insert random drivel>.

I think you like being a contrarian, attempting to convince people of ridiculous theories. It's not that you're immune to herd mentality, it's that you're actively pursuing a viewpoint opposite the herd because that will set you apart. You're like a gaming hipster.
Trenfen#1656

cradex

Post by cradex » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:08 pm

I played well over a month of GW2 btw! I had 3 80s and got exactly what I paid for. Guild Wars 2 is still a great game and I still have it installed, not updated, but installed. I had two 80s before most had their first, that's a testament to how fun the game was, when the majority of KoS quit we didn't feel like server transferring so we just left the game.

Lob

Post by Lob » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:12 pm

phpBB [video]

Defac
Officer
Officer

Post by Defac » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:12 am

Wii U selling out across the nation. This is great news for all gamers.

Kaejin

Post by Kaejin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Except Scree. :p
Nijeak
Battle Tag: Tor#1895

cradex

Post by cradex » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:49 am

unrequited

Post by unrequited » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:25 am

cradex wrote:Image
I almost thought he had a WiiU gamepad in his hands. ^_^
-Unrequited

Morpheis
Officer
Officer

Post by Morpheis » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:03 pm

They got me to buy a Wii U when they did the Zelda Windwaker HD bundle. Regardless of how many games I may buy for the system in the future, well I do have one now ;p
Threat is a tricky thing to balance. If it’s too easy to maintain, then the tank isn’t having fun. If it’s too hard to maintain, then nobody is having fun. - Ghostcrawler

Scree

Post by Scree » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Defac wrote:Wii U selling out across the nation. This is great news for all gamers.
Unsourced equivocation.

Merry xmas to all! (only thread people seem to be posting in).

Lob

Post by Lob » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:37 pm

unrequited

Post by unrequited » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:15 pm

Moar good news about Nintendo. Nintendo wins Christmas in Japan. They're not going anywhere.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/0 ... _christmas
website wrote:1) The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds — 225,418 (3DS)
2) Puzzle & Dragons Z — 198,968 (3DS)
3) Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster — 182,638(PS3)
4) Pokemon X and Y — 156,483 (3DS)
5) Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster — 134,645 (Vita)
6) Wii Party U — 87,262 (Wii U)
7) New Super Mario Bros. U — 75,131 (Wii U)
8) Super Mario 3D World — 71,159 (Wii U)
9) Monster Hunter 4 — 40,338 (3DS)
10) Animal Crossing: New Leaf — 37,300 (3DS)
-Unrequited

Scree

Post by Scree » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:12 pm

So not to discredit the fairly convincing picture you guys painted using non-official sales numbers or anything... but its funny how the Forbes post I'm about to link made the same conclusions I did in this thread (Snort).

I'm sure lots of media outlets quote "Nowinstock.net" sales figures for official news stories on topics. Just like i'm also convinced by a screenshot portraying Nintendos sales in a miniscule market reported on by a Nintendo Fansite. Oh wait. I'm not. But you guys had to know that right?

So instead of playing the fanboy, I'm going to quote a non fanboy site;

Dismal Wii U Sales Move Nintendo Closer To 'Game Over' (Forbes)

The ending paragraph summarizes it best;
What is clear, however, is that increasing sales of the Wii U and 3DS from here will be a near impossibility without further price cutting. And given that Nintendo is now forecasting 36% lower sales and 94% lower profits than they had hoped for, that kind of pricing action may well be beyond its financial wherewithal. It’s going to take something miraculous to save the once beloved game maker from a slide into oblivion. And it’s hard to see what that could be right now.
Cheers.

Oh just in case you think this article is a fluke, heres a half dozen more;

Nintendo Mulls New Business Model After Forecasting Loss (Bloomberg)
Nintendo heads for third consecutive annual loss as Wii U flops (Reuters)
Nintendo Faces Tough Year After Wii U Flops(Variety)
The Wii U is officially a disaster: Nintendo slashes sales forecast by 70%(BGR)
Nintendo Sees Loss on Dismal Wii U Sales (Wall Street Journal)
Nintendo forecasts $335M operating loss following unimpressive holiday sales (Polygon)
Some positives from the 3rd quarter Report, mostly in the mobile market (which seems contradictory to some of the previous articles, but they are comparing the handheld against ALL tablets/cellphones irregardless of owner/age or intent to use them as a gaming device... though the point is still one to consider)

Nintendo Announces Massive 45% Increase In 3DS Game Sales In 2013 (Forbes)

But remember, despite this increase; Nintendo is now forecasting 36% lower sales and 94% lower profits

Defac
Officer
Officer

Post by Defac » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:59 pm

It's not about being a fanboy or whatever. You just want to paint the end of Nintendo which isn't true.

Sure, the Wii U isn't selling well. But neither did the 3DS or the Wii until convincing content came out for it. And even then, if Wii U is a bust, Nintendo isn't going anywhere.

Here's a good quote:
I remember these same types of feelings floating around during the Game Cube era.

Nintendo would have to have WiiU level failures on not just one more round of hardware, but two rounds of hardware AND they would have to completely give up the handheld space they’re currently very strong with in order for it to start making sense for them to abandon the hardware business entirely.

If it does happen, the strength of their IP puts them in a MUCH stronger position than Sega ever was should they decide to get on to other platforms.

I think it more likely that their approach will once again offer something that works. The peak created for Nintendo by the N64 was astonishing. The Game Cube era decayed a huge amount of that value – more than 2/3. But then the new peak created by the Wii was like Mount Everest – an order of magnitude higher than their position during the darkest days of the Game Cube era.

NTDOY is currently trading around $15 and saw a few sub-$12 troughs in 2013. I think NTDOY is a great bet at the moment because everyone is discounting them. The fact is, however, that Nintendo is filled with very talented and creative people who are passionate about games and are Nintendo lifers. I’ve been buying bits of Nintendo stock here and there over the past two years and I’ll keep buying more in the troughs with the confident expectation that the clever people inside of Nintendo will once again offer something that surprises and excites the customer. I did really well with the GameCube to Wii explosion and while I am not sure that we can count on another order of magnitude kind of growth it’s very reasonable to imagine doubling up on even a modest perceived victory given the brand strength and longevity of the company.