SOE Announcements

Reviews for gaming here.

Moderator: Officers

Scree

SOE Announcements

Post by Scree » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:18 pm

Smedley, President/CEO of Sony Online Interactive took to social media (reddit mostly) to announce a few major changes that I thought some of you particularly would be interested in.

First things first, they announced the closure of the following games;
  • Vanguard
  • Wizardry Online
  • Free Realms
  • Clone Wars Adventures
These closures are no big surprise, but the timing on Vanguards closure makes me LOL a little. Vanguard, a turd brought to you by Brad McQuaid, is being closed down less then a month after McQuaids announcement of kickstarting a new MMO (Pantheon). If you haven't read up on Pantheon, I have a quick high level overview of it here.

Yet most importantly he dropped this hint;
"SWG players, our next game (not announced yet) is dedicated to you," Smedley wrote. "Once we launch it... you can come home now."
That last bit has set off quite a few fans of the original SWG players, many of whom I know reside in Shining Force. While the IP will obviously not be set in the Star Wars universe, its pretty clear hes targeting the playerbase who've been basically ignored by the MMO-creating few. Not that I was a huge fan of SWG (I bought collectors edition and quit at end of first free month), but again, I know a bunch of hardcore players were in SF.
-Feya aka Firepatch aka Scree

Disciple
Officer
Officer

Re: SOE Announcements

Post by Disciple » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:55 am

I made $1200 from SWG, no complaints there. It was fun for a month or two. I don't know of many people who were dying for SWG to come back or thought of it more than just another notch in their mmorpg belts though.

Mendol

Post by Mendol » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:00 pm

I have a few friends that thought it was the "best thing ever", until they added levels and ruined it.

I personally never played it.

Defac
Officer
Officer

Post by Defac » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:22 pm