Gonna bring this one back up too, because I know how we are all interested in new MMO ventures. This kickstarter project just launched, by Brad McQuaid (of vanilla EQ and Vanguard fame) himself. The key bullet points are out their on the web, including a quick writeup I did on the title myself here
. I'll tldr for you;
- a "Hard" MMO (almost all content requires a group)
- The full spectrum of "holy trinity plus" (DPS/Tank/Healer/Puller/Crowd Control/Support)
- Serious Death Penalties (akin to original EQ)
- No "quick travel" (Teleports to get you to vicinity, but you have to hoof it).
- Loot Drop / Item-oriented
- Raid Oriented end-game
- Crafting is NOT planned (unless they hit certain plateaus/tiers in Kickstarter)
His vision is certainly interesting, if only because most MMOs seem to want to hand you the entire game in under a month. Their is no sense of achievement because anyone can solo level themselves to max level quickly. In my opinon, the ease of which characters are leveled creates an ease of which those characters are abandoned. I'm sure all of you could name your EQ Character and class (I've seen Fanfan recount his memorable tales in other threads)... and it was a memorable experience due to the time you had to put into a character to fully unlock them.
Anyhow, the game seems to have potential, even if I think the name (and some of the class names) show little effort ;p