Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

Reviews for gaming here.

Moderator: Officers

Scree

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

Post by Scree » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:31 pm

Gonna bring this one back up too, because I know how we are all interested in new MMO ventures. This kickstarter project just launched, by Brad McQuaid (of vanilla EQ and Vanguard fame) himself. The key bullet points are out their on the web, including a quick writeup I did on the title myself here. I'll tldr for you;
  • a "Hard" MMO (almost all content requires a group)
  • The full spectrum of "holy trinity plus" (DPS/Tank/Healer/Puller/Crowd Control/Support)
  • Serious Death Penalties (akin to original EQ)
  • No "quick travel" (Teleports to get you to vicinity, but you have to hoof it).
  • Loot Drop / Item-oriented
  • Raid Oriented end-game
  • Crafting is NOT planned (unless they hit certain plateaus/tiers in Kickstarter)
His vision is certainly interesting, if only because most MMOs seem to want to hand you the entire game in under a month. Their is no sense of achievement because anyone can solo level themselves to max level quickly. In my opinon, the ease of which characters are leveled creates an ease of which those characters are abandoned. I'm sure all of you could name your EQ Character and class (I've seen Fanfan recount his memorable tales in other threads)... and it was a memorable experience due to the time you had to put into a character to fully unlock them.

Anyhow, the game seems to have potential, even if I think the name (and some of the class names) show little effort ;p
-Feya aka Firepatch aka Scree

Kaejin

Re: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

Post by Kaejin » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:51 pm

Scree wrote:Vanguard fame
I imagine you said that with a sarcastic little smirk.
Scree wrote:
  • a "Hard" MMO (almost all content requires a group)
  • The full spectrum of "holy trinity plus" (DPS/Tank/Healer/Puller/Crowd Control/Support)
  • Serious Death Penalties (akin to original EQ)
  • No "quick travel" (Teleports to get you to vicinity, but you have to hoof it).
  • Loot Drop / Item-oriented
  • Raid Oriented end-game
  • Crafting is NOT planned (unless they hit certain plateaus/tiers in Kickstarter)
So they're basically planning on a very small amount of concurrent users to ever exist, eh? FF11 was my first "proper" MMO and grouping requirement and huge exp penalties for death are basically what drove me to quit at level 20~ something.

The dynamic between required grouping for leveling, heavy death penalties, and any sort of rigid group makeup born from the holy trinity makes MMOs like these caustic for anyone trying to get into them that doesn't already have a full group of friends committed to grouping up to face the content at set times (imagine the way we scheduled raids for wow, but simply for leveling).
Nijeak
Battle Tag: Tor#1895

ferret

Post by ferret » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:21 pm

Where's that like button? I need to Like Nijeak's post.
YUMI, EXTREME PROTECTION PALADIN. PROTECTION OF THE EXTREMEIST LEVEL.

Scree

Post by Scree » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:53 pm

Kaejin wrote:
So they're basically planning on a very small amount of concurrent users to ever exist, eh? FF11 was my first "proper" MMO and grouping requirement and huge exp penalties for death are basically what drove me to quit at level 20~ something.

The dynamic between required grouping for leveling, heavy death penalties, and any sort of rigid group makeup born from the holy trinity makes MMOs like these caustic for anyone trying to get into them that doesn't already have a full group of friends committed to grouping up to face the content at set times (imagine the way we scheduled raids for wow, but simply for leveling).
Basically yea. Its absolutely going to be a niche MMO. I'm mostly convinced that an audiences exists for this type of game, but its certainly not on the scale of World of Warcraft at any point. I hope it gets funded, the genre could use a title like this, but I won't be putting money towards it early on.
-Feya aka Firepatch aka Scree