Europa Universalis IV

Reviews for gaming here.

Moderator: Officers

Fanfan
Officer
Officer

Europa Universalis IV

Post by Fanfan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:08 pm

Picked up this game over the long weekend and put in a good 20-25 hours on it. Highly recommend if you enjoy CIV 5 or any other sandbox strategy game. It's pretty in-depth compared to CIV 5, took about 5-6 hours to really get past the learning curve. Game is centered around the 1444-1821 time period.

In a 6 hour sit, I started out as Castile (known today as Spain). Allied myself with France and started a war on two fronts, Portugal to the left and Catalonia (Barcelona/Valencia) to the right. After dominating those two areas, I proceeded to push south conquering Granada finishing up my conquer of the entire Iberian peninsula. I looked even south past the Straight of Gibraltar, spent a ton of gold on ships and sent my army to conquer the North African coast areas of Tangiers, Tunisia, and Morocco. I took over a bunch of shit but started getting war weary and the local population, predominately Sunni Muslim, started uprising and destroyed my armies, pushed me all the back to Gibraltar.

Disciple
Officer
Officer

Re: Europa Universalis IV

Post by Disciple » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:27 pm

You should also try Crusader Kings II, it's similar and covers the period of time from around 900AD to 1400's-- you can port your game over from Crusader Kings II to Europa Universalis IV, essentially giving you almost 1000 years of continuous playtime.

The main difference with Crusader Kings II is that it's dynasty based, so you do a lot more management of the individuals and your family. For example, I started a huge dynasty in Mali that reached across Africa to Sudan. A count in northern Europe was pissed because I refused his marriage proposal to one of my daughters and tried to have her assassinated. I found out and had him assassinated in turn, but was discovered and killed by one of his extended family. My huge empire collapsed as my bungling children broke up the empire among themselves.

I haven't started playing Europa Universalis IV that much yet since I'm taking a break from Crusader Kings II, but I'll dig more into it eventually.